Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: 1. Is this an NMS form?, and 2. Is the email address hidden?  (Read 9958 times)

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
1. Is this an NMS form?, and 2. Is the email address hidden?
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:52:04 AM »
1.   I've tried so many different ways to do forms, I am 99% sure that this is one using NMS FormMail:
https://www.werentcolumbus.com/makepayment.html

Can you tell by looking at it?

2.   My email address is seen by View > Source...so is it hidden from the view of email harvesters?

If it's a good form, I'll use it as the template for some others of different types, and add some new ones.

Thanks, all!!

Trying to daydream, but my mind keeps wandering.

leighsww

Re: 1. Is this an NMS form?, and 2. Is the email address hidden?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:27:32 AM »
It doesn't look like you're using the NMS FormMail script. This line is what is indicating this to me:

<form method="POST" name="Credit Card Charge" action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/makepayment.html" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">

I believe we installed the NMS FormMail script for you in the cgi-bin in the past, so if you want to use that script, change the "action" to point to:

Code: [Select]
action="/cgi-bin/scriptname.pl"
Replacing "scriptname" with whatever the name of your .pl script.

You also need to change "email0" to "email" in the following tag of your html form:

<input type="text" name="email0" size="60">
And if you want to put a subject, required, and/or redirect, you need to add those appropriate "hidden" tags. Go back to my tutorial and you will find all the instructions there:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=18221.0
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 09:30:54 AM by leighsww »

leighsww

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:54:06 AM »
One more thing ...

If you need different forms sent to different email addys (or even just one form sent to multiple email addys), then do the following:

The SCRIPT:

You can just use your domain in the @allow_mail_to, like so:

@allow_mail_to = qw(yourdomain.com localhost);
Then you add the emails to the %recipient_alias, like so:

%recipient_alias = (
'1' => 'user1@domain.com',
'2' => 'user2@domain.com',
'3' => 'user3@domain.com',
);

NOTE: you can use names for the forms, instead of numbers (ex: Quotation, Order, etc.)

If you want Form #1 to be sent to two different email addys, then just enter the 2nd addy like so:

%recipient_alias = (
'1' => 'user1@domain.com,user2@domain.com',
'2' => 'user2@domain.com',
'3' => 'user3@domain.com',
);

The HTML FORM:

You then need to add the "recipient" hidden tag with the value of the number that correlates to the email addy in the script. So for example, Form #1, it would look like so:

<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="1" />
If Form #2 will have a different email addy (the one in the #2 spot in the .pl script), you enter value="2", and so on.

If you have a Form #3 that will use the same email addy as Form #2, you can just use value="2" for Form #3's hidden "recipient" tag.

Here's also another way to send to multiple email addys using cPanel's "forwarders" (recommended for those who need a LOT of different emails as recipients):

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=33076.msg248940#msg248940
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:21:01 AM by leighsww »

leighsww

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 11:18:04 AM »
Rick, after doing a search for your posts regarding NMS Formmail (because I wanted to find which form we did in the past that worked for you, so you can use that one as the template), I came across this thread:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=26918.0

In that thread, you have:

http://www.werentcolumbus.rr.com/application.html

which was a form that we got working with the NMS FormMail script. I noticed that it's not working now. What happened to it?

If you can find it, that is a form you can use as a template, since we had gotten that one working in the past.

I noticed that you have different domain names for the various forms throughout your posts in previous threads. Are they add-on domains, or are they accounts on different servers?

If they are add-on domains and if you want to use only ONE script file for ALL of the forms, then you need to add those domains to the @referers config of the script.

If you prefer to use separate script files, then that's fine too. This can be done either way (one script or multiple scripts).

Anyway, let's go through this one step at a time (to hinder you from getting too confused :o), so let me know the answer to what I have asked of you so far.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 11:23:51 AM by leighsww »

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:05:01 AM »
Leigh, I think I may not be as confused as I initially thought I was  :yey:

You are correct that it was my rental application that you did for me.  In the post you reference, dumb me added some characters.  The correct link is
http://www.werentcolumbus.com/application.html

So to back up just a hair:

1. Is it right that even though my email shows up in the code (View > Source), that email address is protected from the harvesters in some way?

2. To add other forms at this site, all I need to do is save the page as something else, then modify the elements within the form, right?

leighsww

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:01:15 AM »
LOL, uhmmmm ... Rick, I am afraid that you are still confused, my dear :o :)

Okay, first off ... that new link you provided still shows your form as using the FrontPage form attributes, and NOT utilizing the NMS FormMail script. See this line:

<form action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/application.html" method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="form1" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">
  <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" S-Email-Address="forrent@columbus.rr.com" B-Email-Label-Fields="TRUE" B-Email-ReplyTo-From-Field="TRUE" S-Email-ReplyTo="email" B-Email-Subject-From-Field="FALSE" S-Email-Subject="Application Submitted" S-Builtin-Fields startspan -->
  <input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" i-checksum="43374" endspan -->

All that stuff in RED (and your email address) shouldn't be there.

Again, the "action" is pointing to the "_vti_bin/shtml.exe/application.html" which is NOT correct if you want to use the NMS FormMail .pl script to process your forms.

Also, all that stuff after the action (with your email addy in the tag) is what FrontPage puts in and is not needed for NMS FormMail. Having your email addy in the html is NOT a good thing as it is a potential for spam email harvesting by bots.

I gave you how the "action" should point in my 2nd post in this thread.

LOL, I think you need to do a search for ALL your past posts that we did on NMS FormMail (because we have done all this before several times) and find a form that we got working in the past and view the source code of it, so you can see how it should look (and possibly use that as the template and just copy and past the particular tags needed for the NMS FormMail into your new form).

If you can't find the file (or whatever the case may be) to use as a template, then reread my tutorial yet again. Then, follow the instructions step-by-step on changing your HTML form to enter the fields and hidden tags correctly.

Print the tutorial out, then check mark the steps as you go so you do not miss anything. That'll make it much easier to follow, because it really isn't hard, but all that verbiage may give it the impression that it is. So, just take it one step-at-a-time.

Once you do that, post back here if you cannot get the form to work and I'll help you get it working.

Once we get your form working, then you need to make sure you put a note to yourself (use NotePad and create like a Post-It/Sticky on your computer desktop - basically, it'll just be a .txt file with a reminder to yourself) to use that particular html file/page as a template, so that you do not have to keep starting over from scratch, and encounter these same problems over and over again  :(

I know this form stuff can be quite confusing and daunting, but hang in there ... you'll get it one day :) (at least I hope you do  :shocked::love:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:17:51 AM by leighsww »

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 12:08:52 PM »
Thanks, Leigh...I guess...  :( ...

... :cry:

I was so confident of a "yep, Rick, you're on the right page"

:cry:

Ok, I'm better now.
Well, kinda.

I need to take 2 deep breaths and 3 deep drinks.  Sit back and look back...compare this thread with the other...and see if I can figure where and how I messed up that form.

I'm gonna do some major chin and brain scratching and see if I can come up with something that will make you realize that I've at least got a couple-a brain cells left.

I'll be back.

...where's is that favorite mug of mine!?...

leighsww

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 12:21:42 PM »
LOL, poor Rick

Just do what I said and change the "action" to point correctly. And remove all that stuff in your html that I show highlighted in RED.

Then add whatever applicable "hidden" tags that you want to use (ex: "subject", "redirect", etc.) which you can find the instructions in my tutorial.

If worse-comes-to-worst and you are just too confused :o with it all, then PM (IM) me the following:

1) main domain name (if this is an add-on domain)
2) username and password
3) email addy you want this form sent to

and I will set it up for you.

But, I kinda want you to know how to do it, so you understand the procedures and can do it yourself for any future forms you need to create.

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »
The drinks didn't work...but I think I actually found a working NMS FormMail form  :yey:

www.catholicrecordsociety.org/guestbookentry.html

1. Am I right?

(I see that my email address question is answered: It appears nowhere in the code)

Now a "baby step" question:

If I want to make another form on this site that submits to the same email address as it does now, all I have to do is
a. save the guestbookentry.html file as something else,
b. remove any unwanted form elements except for the submit button,
c. upload the file

Is that correct?

leighsww

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 11:44:48 AM »
a. yes, save it as a name that is applicable to the form's subject matter.
b. yes, remove or add any fields you need for the new form.
c. yes

As long as you are using the same domain name to access the form, you do not need to touch the .pl script in the cgi-bin.

However, if in the future you want to use an add-on domain to access a form, then there are changes you will need to make to the .pl script file.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 11:48:23 AM by leighsww »

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
 :yey: :yey:

Awesome!

One day I'll surprise you with a "hey Leigh, check out this cool form I made (on another domain) all by my little lonesome"  :)

leighsww

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 12:09:42 PM »
One day I'll surprise you with a "hey Leigh, check out this cool form I made (on another domain) all by my little lonesome"  :)

I will buy you a virtual martini (shaken not stirred), should that day come  :thumb:

But, just in case ... I will help you with that if need be, so don't you worry  :wink: (if I'm still alive, that is)  :)

Offline RickJ

• Senior Moderator
  • Über Jedi
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 12:34:55 PM »
Make mine with Gin, please.  Couple of rocks and give the Vermouth to your cat.

No need to shake or stir :thumb: