« Last post by MrPhil on January 31, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »
I finally got to the bottom of this: Lunarpages servers (or at least, mine) are misconfigured. If your URI starts with a real directory, it skips the .htaccess files in higher level directories, and goes directly to that directory. So, it never goes through /.htaccess, where most of my stuff (including IP deny lists, hotlink protection, and most of the URL rewriting) lives. I got around it by introducing virtual (fake) directories at the top level of all my URIs, and these are translated (rewritten) to real directories in /.htaccess (which everything goes through now). I'm still checking it out, but it seems to be working properly now, except that I still need to check if there are any cases where lower level .htaccess files are still being skipped.
I'm very disappointed with LP for making me go through all of this nonsense, all the while insisting that I must be doing something wrong in my .htaccess files. They clearly don't know what they're doing. I hope this experience will be helpful to others who are having problems getting their .htaccess files to work right -- consider that they may be skipped over if your URI starts with a real directory!